Quick Reference Guide
Quick tip: All adjustment levers and buttons are bright blue, and adjustment knobs are white. Keep this in mind when trying to adjust the chair.
Note: Tilt-in-space is available only on the tilt-in-space frame with the gas spring. The chair can be tilted with the client seated in it.
To tilt the chair:
- Squeeze the blue lever located behind the gas spring on the right.
- At the same time, with your other hand on the opposite corner of the backrest push the chair back and down (for reclining) or pull it up and forward (for anterior tilt).
The gas spring allows you to set the chair at any angle (not just preset angles) for good positioning and client comfort. The tilt ranges from 5° forward (shown here) for easy hygiene access and for easy sit-to-stand…
…to 25° back for comfortable showering and hair washing. The footrest can be angled forward for added support.
Adjusting the height
Note: Adjusting the height is best done with the chair empty.
To raise the chair, place one foot on the crosspiece and pull up with both hands.
To lower the chair:
- Squeeze the two blue levers behind the front legs of the chair simultaneously and pull the chair all the way up to the highest level, then allow its weight to lower it automatically.
- Release the levers when the chair is at the desired height. Check that both sides of the chair are at the same height.
Blue levers and preset stops can be found behind the front legs of the chair.
Locking and unlocking casters
To lock a caster, depress the white lever.
To release the caster, kick the top of the lever or put your toe beneath it and lift up.
Attaching and removing the backrest
To attach the back to the seat:
- Standing in front of the chair, remove the armrests.
- With the back tilted toward you, insert the round moldings at the base of the back into the slots on the chair.
- Press down on the plastic ledge at the base of the backrest between the round moldings.
- With backrest pressed down, start to rotate into position.
To adjust the angle of the back:
- Pull up on the two blue levers on the sides.
- With the levers pulled up, rotate the seat forward or back to the desired position – 6˚ forward, 6˚ back or 18˚ back – until it clicks.
To remove the back from the seat, simply reverse the attachment procedure:
- Pull up on the two blue levers.
- Rotate the back into the forward-most position, aligning the hash marks on the side.
- Pull up to remove. (You may need to place your knee on the seat while pulling up for leverage.)
Attaching and removing the seat to bars or bases
Note: When using the mounting bar to attach the backrest/seat assembly to a porcelain toilet, first angle the backrest forward. This position will give you enough room to clear the toilet's flipped-up lid and seat as you perform the next step.
To attach the seat to the base:
- Insert the hooks at the back corners of the chair (see arrow) into the square holes on the base or mounting bar.
The seat can be attached and detached with the backrest in place.
- With the hooks seated in the holes, lower the front of the seat onto the front of the base and push until a click tells you the seat is securely latched. (You will not hear a click when attaching to a mounting bar, since the seat cannot latch to the toilet.)
To remove the seat from the base:
- Pull the two blue latches underneath the front of the seat as shown.
- With the latches disengaged, pull up on the seat and remove.
Attaching and removing the back pad
To remove the back pad, pull it away from the chair as shown. You will see blue pins on the underside of the pad.
To attach the back and seat pads:
- Line up the blue pins on the pads’ underside with the corresponding holes in the chair.
- Snap the pins into the holes.
Adjusting the backrest angle
- With your thumbs resting on top of the chair, pull up on the two blue levers on the sides.
- With the levers pulled up, move the backrest forward or back until it clicks.
The backrest adjusts to three positions: 6˚ forward, 6˚ back and 18˚ back.
Adjusting the seat depth
The seat adjusts to four different depths in 1" increments.
To adjust the seat depth:
- Lift the two blue latches on the sides of the seat.
- Slide the back and armrests configuration to the desired position until it clicks.
To remove the backrest and armrests configuration from the seat for cleaning, lift the two blue latches, slide it all the way forward and remove.
To attach the headrest (and adjust the height):
- Press in the blue button at the back of the chair.
- Slide the headrest into the groove.
- Adjust to desired position until it clicks. There are five settings for the headrest in 1" increments.
To adjust the angle of the headrest:
- Loosen the white oval knobs behind the headrest.
- Adjust to the desired position and tighten.
It’s a good idea to experiment with this adjustment to see how many different angles are available.
Lateral supports and chest strap
Note: Each lateral support adjusts up and down, in and out. This allows adjustments independent of the other lateral support—ideal for clients who require side supports at different heights or angles.
To attach and adjust the lateral supports:
- Slide the projecting arm on the lateral support into the groove on the back of the chair.
- Loosen the white knob.
- Adjust the lateral to the desired height.
- Tighten the knob securely.
Loosen the white knob to adjust the lateral in and out and to rotate it.
To add a chest strap to the laterals:
- Thread each end of the strap onto a lateral support so that the strap lies inside the lateral.
- Slide the laterals into the grooves on the back of the chair (see previous slides).
Caution: Proper positioning of the strap inside the lateral as shown is important; if the strap is placed incorrectly on the outside of the lateral it is a choking hazard.
Note: The anterior support/tray can be installed and removed by one person. Armrests must be in place to secure the anterior support, which can be used in six preset positions (one inch apart).
To attach the anterior support (tray):
- Slide it on the armrests.
- Pull forward the blue latch located on the underside of the anterior support.
- Then slide the anterior support onto the armrests to the desired position, until it clicks.
To remove the anterior support (tray), pull forward the blue latch on the underside of the tray and slide it forward.
Note: The hip guides are not identical; one is for the left and one for the right. Find the small rib (that matches the notch in the hip guide hole, where the armrests go) and place this toward the back.
To attach the hip guides:
- Remove the armrests.
- Insert the base of the armrest through the hole in the corresponding hip guide, with the blue hip guide pad and the screws of the armrest facing inside.
- Press the blue lever on the back of the armrest and slide the whole assembly into the armrest hole until it clicks.
To attach the abductor:
- Press the blue latch and insert the arm of the abductor into the slot in the front of the chair.
- Slide in until it clicks.
The abductor can also hold the deflector in place.
To attach the deflector, insert the tab into the grooves in the seat pad, as shown.
The deflector properly attached.
The deflector held in place by the abductor, an optional combination for added security.
To attach the splash guard:
- Attach the seat belt by sliding the ends into the slots on the back corners of the chair.
- Place the seat belt between the ridges on the outside of the splash guard (as shown).
- Insert the splash guard into the opening of the seat pad.
- Adjust seatbelt so that the entire assembly rests securely against the client.
The splash guard correctly attached.
The splash guard in place.
To adjust the angle of the footboard:
- Push up on the blue buttons on the insides of the footboard uprights.
- Tilt the footboard to the desired angle (four positions available).
To adjust the height of the footboard:
- Depress the blue buttons at the front of the footboard upright supports.
- Slide the footboard up or down to the desired position (eight positions available in ¾" increments).
Flip up the footboard to facilitate transfers. The footboard can also serve as a step for a client up to 150 lbs.
To attach the calfrest to the footboard:
- Position the calfrest with the white side forward and the bound edge down.
- Wrap each strap end around the back of the footrest uprights. (Be sure to wrap it around the narrowest part of the uprights.)
- Thread the strap end through the metal loop.
- Double the end back on itself so that the hook and loop strips fasten.
- Adjust tension as desired.
The calfrest properly installed on the footboard.
Attaching and adjusting seat belt
Changing to butterfly harness
To attach the seat to the tub base:
- Insert the hooks at the back corners of the seat into the square holes on the top of the tub base (as shown).
- Lower the front of the seat onto the front of the base and push until it clicks and the seat is securely latched.
Seat correctly attached to the tub base.
While tub base is in use, the seat back and headrest can be adjusted to the ideal angle for bathing and hair washing.
To remove the seat from the base:
- Pull the two blue latches underneath the front of the seat.
- With the latches depressed, pull up on the seat and remove.
Portability base with bag