The Rifton Pacer’s Multi-Positioning Saddle (MPS), in addition to providing weight-bearing support and excellent positioning for the pelvis, greatly simplifies transfer into the gait trainer. Here are the steps for a streamlined and safe transfer from a wheelchair into the Pacer. It is best performed with two caregivers.
Preparing the Gait Trainer for a Transfer
- Lock the caster brakes.
- Undo arm prompt, thigh prompt and ankle prompt straps.
- Open the back of the chest prompt.
Transfer Using the MPS
Back to Top
- Adjust gait trainer frame height to its lowest position.
- Lower the MPS so the seat is level with the wheelchair seat. For easiest access, add a slight posterior tilt to the MPS.
- Move the wheelchair close to the Pacer and slide the client onto the MPS with a simple two-person transfer.
- Secure the MPS hip corral.
- Raise the Pacer upper frame to the appropriate height. One caregiver operates the gas-assist lifting column and the other supports by lifting on the frame from the back.
- Once the client is in the standing position, fasten the chest prompt, secure forearms in the arm prompts, fasten straps of the thigh prompts and ankle prompts and finalize the adjustments on the MPS.